Any makeup guru can go on for days if you asked them to talk about contouring. Truth be told, contouring can do some pretty amazing in bringing out a girl’s natural beauty. However, unless it’s a simple swipe of bronzer or a blot of brush on the apples of the cheeks, many women don’t know how to contour. If you’re like the majority of women out there who don’t truly know how to contour it doesn’t mean that your makeup looks any less beautiful! However, it does mean that your cheekbones may not be living up to their full potential. The good thing is it isn’t hard to learn! Below we’ve provided a simple tutorial for all you ladies to enhance those cheekbones. Have a look!
Before getting started, there are a few things you’ll need in your makeup arsenal:
- The first thing you’ll need is a good, high-quality highlighter. Bear in mind that highlighters are sold in several different mediums on the makeup market today. Whether you choose a powder, liquid, or cream, it is the job of the highlighter to draw light to your face. Ultimately its purpose is to accentuate and emphasize the areas it’s applied to which, in turn, creates a lovely glow thus highlighting the face. If you’re in a situation that you aren’t able to get your hands on some highlighter, you can always use a shimmery, opaque eyeshadow as a backup.
- The next thing you’ll need is a natural looking bronzer. It may be tempting to grab the bronzer kit that is intended for contouring, but in an effort to keep things simple, your best bet is to go for a natural looking bronzer that is the right color for your skin. The wrong shade can cause all sorts of beauty miss-haps, so if you’re unsure which shade would best suit you, seek out the advice of a beauty-savvy friend or one of the beauticians working in the cosmetics section of the store.
- The final item you’ll need to enhance your cheekbones is a quality angled contour makeup brush. It’s no secret that the makeup brush selection today can get a bit intimidating. Ultimately you want a simple brush that will be good at sculpting and shading your cheekbones. If you’re unsure you can ask a beauty representative, or even look at reviews online to make sure you are getting the most unbiased opinions on the quality and durability of the different brush options.
Now that you’ve got everything you need, it’s time to enhance those cheekbones!
- As always it is best to apply makeup to a freshly cleansed, moisturized, and primed face. In addition, it is highly recommended that you apply your makeup in a well-lit room and in front of a full-size mirror.
- Begin by gathering your bronzer onto the contour brush, being sure to tap off any excess powder to prevent over application. Looking straight into the mirror, suck your cheeks in, making a fish face so that your cheekbones are easy to identify.
- Right under your cheekbones you’ll notice a bit of a shadow, this is where you’ll apply the bronzer. Do so by gently sweeping the brush in an upward motion towards your ears. Continue to apply just a small amount at a time on each side, stepping back from the mirror to make sure that it’s the right shade.
- At this point, you’ll apply the highlighter. Depending on the type of highlighter you’re using it will be applied differently. If you’re using a liquid or cream highlighter you can put a few drops on the back of your hand, then dab your middle and index finger into product, then pat your fingers along the top of the bronzer as you blend the two products together. When using a powder highlighter use a blush brush to lightly apply the product along the top of the bronzer, moving the brush in circular motions to blend the bronzer and highlighter together.