How do you style your brows? Do you go for a thick arched look like Lauren Bacall or a straight boyish style like Cara Streicher? Do you prefer them to look full and structured like Kim Kardashian-West’s or soft and natural like the Olsen twins?
If you ever feel like you can’t keep your bows looking just as fresh as the day you left the brow bar, you’re not alone. Regardless of what look you prefer, your brows play a major role in framing your face, giving it a look of structure. It is for this very reason that we have dedicated this post to giving you a step-by-step tutorial on how to keep your eyebrows looking fresh in-between brow bar appointments. You’re welcome.
- Prior to even grabbing your tweezers out of your makeup bag, put some thought into how you want your brows to look. It might sound silly, but there are so many different ways to style your eyebrows and unless you’ve mentioned it to your stylist, chances are she isn’t doing anything other than cleaning up the strays. Spend a few minutes looking at pictures of celebrities, paying attention to which eyebrow shapes you do and don’t like. This will give you an idea of how high of an arch you want and how far out to extend them.
- Once you know what you want… you’re still not allowed to touch your tweezers. You’ll want to make sure that your facial skin in clean. Simply wash your face with a mild cleanser and use a towel to pat the skin dry. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and pat your skin dry. If you aren’t in any rush, it is also highly recommended that you steam your eyebrows. You can do this by running a small face or washcloth under warm-to-hot water for a few minutes. Wring the towel out and then place it over your brows and the surrounding area for five minutes or so. This will open the pores as well as soften the hair cuticle, which will make tweezing easier and less painful.
- Now you may grab your tweezers. Many prefer angled-tweezers, but if you are comfortable with the pair that you have, it’s all good. Use a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol to give them a quick disinfecting wipe. Make sure you are in a well-lit area, that you have a good, clean mirror, and an eyebrow comb handy.
- Use the eyebrow comb to brush all the hairs up and out this way you easily access any stragglers without pulling out other hair with too. It might be a good idea to refer to a picture of the brows you want every so often and follow it as a guide.
- Whatever you do, don’t over-tweeze! Women do this far too often, don’t be one of those women. It will leave your brows looking thin and patchy, which is not that look anyone should be going for. The best way to avoid this is to lean away from the mirror every few seconds and take a look at the progress.
- Once you’re finished, use a cotton pad to apply aloe or any soothing lotion that you have, around the brow area. Let you skin relax for a little while before putting on any type of makeup.
- Now that you have your brows looking fab, keep them that way by setting aside a few minutes every morning to tweeze any pieces that start growing.