As days turn into nights earlier and the atmosphere is beginning to hint at even cooler temps to come, there’s a certain briskness permeating the air that is exhilarating, and it inspires our thoughts to embrace an autumnal form of invigoration that just seems to go with the overall mood. It’s a given that many women and men typically find one particular scent with which they most strongly identify, and it resultingly becomes their one and only, trademark “olfactory aura.” For the rest of us (and even those members of the aforementioned group who are a little more adventurous,) there seems to be no better time to think about changing up your chosen fragrance than when summer humidity and heat are displaced by the emergence of crisp, clear fall air.
Just to Get You Thinking
There are so very many sensory associations intrinsically linked to fall, found in the familiar return of smoky air as it billows out from neighboring chimneys, the beloved aromas of pumpkin and spice, and the way that fresh fall air always smells. These are all excellent motivators for moving to a great new seasonal scent, as tank tops and short shorts make way for cozy, wooly and thick sweaters and toasty, toe-warming thick socks. Some fabulous finds exist for everyone desiring to exude a change in the aroma department. Now, this is only a start, as there’s nothing like “smellavision” yet, and buying a perfume “smell unsmelt” is what you’re doing, if you do your scent shopping exclusively online. What you’ll get here is some advantageous direction to get you going–and dreaming of the images these enticing descriptions conjure up. Ultimately, especially when you are plunking down a hefty chunk of change, try before you buy, for a no-regrets, fully embraceable new signature scent. Here are some you’ll definitely want to check out:
- Tom Ford Noir Pour Femme, $115: This scent was initially made for men, however as women began drawn to wearing it themselves, the formulation was modified in a more feminine direction by adding notes of sweet pistachio and amber. Note: a little of this potion goes a long way.
- Ex Nihilo Jasmin Fauve, $225: With a press release describing it as a “poisonous leather flower,” this one is musky and sensually floral, with notes of orange blossom, Jasmine and Lily of the Valley. Lightly intriguing.
- Vilhelm Parfumerie Smoke Show, $245: This sensual blend of spice, leather and a mystical woodscape makes good on its performance, changing throughout the day as you wear it, actually changing in a unique olfactory performance that defends the hefty price.
- Sabe Masson Soft Perfumes, $25: Uniquely, this is one solid perfume that is formulated in a rich concentration and guaranteed to keep working and not shift away as you wear it. Available in over 15 deliciously tantalizing fall-favoring scents, all in a shea, tiare and mango base. Created by Sephora.
- Maison Margiela Paris Replica Lipstick On, $125: With galbanum’s trademark olfactory presence widely coveted by lipstick lovers, it’s a hard working scent that is truly fascinating on every level. Begins with waxy, resin type notes and transitions to becoming powdery and finally a little bit vanilla-boozy.