While wearing makeup to the beach is seldom recommended, it seems that there is always a reason to wear even the slightest bit of makeup. Maybe you need a confidence boost or maybe you’re breaking out. Perhaps your crush is coming with you, or it could be that you are just someone who genuinely enjoys wearing makeup and reaping its benefits on any occasion. Whatever the reason, continue reading to find out tips and tricks of wearing makeup to the beach.
- First and foremost, before applying any type of makeup for your beach day, it is extremely important that you lather up with sunblock that defends against both UVA and UVB rays. Contrary to popular belief, this rule still holds true on even the cloudiest days of summer; just because you can’t see the sun, doesn’t mean that the sun’s harmful rays won’t get in touch with you.
- Keeping in mind that beach weather is bound to leave your skin hot, sticky, and sweaty, a beach makeup rule of thumb – which can be said of all summer makeup for that matter – is to wear waterproof whenever possible. Not only does this ensure that your makeup won’t be wiped away with your sweat, or washed away with the salty waves, but waterproof makeup tends to last longer regardless of getting wet or dry.
- The last thing you want it to look cakey on the coast. You can prevent this from happening by wearing products that work double duty. A fantastic double duty makeup product to invest in is a foundation which also includes broad spectrum SPF. If you are set with your current foundation and aren’t interested in switching it up for the summer, another option is to mix together some foundation and sunblock in the palm of your hand, then apply it as you would a BB cream.
- It is imperative to stay hydrated while at the beach, which means drinking lots and lots of water. This may be bad news for those who are particularly fond of wearing lipstick, as repetitive sipping is bound to mess up the prettiest lips. Luckily, there is a simple way around this! Instead of wearing lipstick, opt for a lip stain. Not only do they last much longer than a typical lipstick, but they come in a variety of shades, so you don’t have to worry about missing out on your favorite summer lip color. Lip stains are known to be pretty drying, which is why they usually include a lip-balm-end – use the lip balm! If you find that your lips tend to get dry throughout the day, bring a similarly colored tinted lip balm with you. The tinted balm will likely be formulated with SPF as well, which means you will be killing two birds with one stone by moisturizing and protecting your pout.
- Even with the best primers, typical solid eyeshadow is bound to wipe off in seconds. If you’re adamant about wearing eye makeup, go for a long lasting crème shadow along with waterproof liner and mascara.